West Hills Behavioral Health Hospital Policies
At West Hills Behavioral Health Hospital, we encourage you to express your individuality in a way that is consistent with expectations that exist in schools, places of work and the community. We encourage patients to bring three to four days of clean comfortable clothing without drawstrings, and slip-on shoes without shoelaces.
- Clothing must be kept clean. Washer and dryer are available at no charge.
- Sleepwear must be worn to bed.
- Clothing cannot be sexually provocative. Provocative clothing includes tube tops, skimpy tank tops, half shirts, see-through clothes, shorts or leotards.
- Sleepwear is not permitted in the cafeteria or any other public area.
- Safety pins and stickpins may not be worn as jewelry or adornment.
- Feet must be covered at all times. Shoes or slipper socks are acceptable on the unit. Athletic shoes are recommended for gym activities.
Family members are encouraged to take valuables home. Patients cannot keep valuables on the unit due to security reasons. The hospital cannot be responsible for lost or missing items. We request that credit cards, checks, cash or jewelry be sent home or locked in the hospital safe. The hospital will only be responsible for those items deposited in the hospital safe.
Smoking is not allowed. For patients who smoke and want to stop, various methods can be prescribed by your psychiatrist.
As stated previously, we suggest you send most money and valuables home. All personal items will be inventoried and signed by you and two staff members. Items go into three different categories:
1. Items for which you are responsible at all times;
2. Items placed in the hospital safe, and
3. Items placed in locked boxes on the unit (medications).
Make sure all items are returned to you prior to leaving the hospital on the day of discharge.
For health and safety reasons, the following items are not allowed in patient care areas:
- Food and beverages
- Medication of any kind (including vitamins)
- Toxins or flammables like glue, paint, aerosols, nail polish, etc.
- Matches, cigarettes, lighters
- Skateboards, bicycles, weight lifting equipment
- Personal radios with headphones, televisions, computers, cell phones, cameras, tape recorders, and iPods
- Animals or fish
- Cosmetics and toiletries that contain alcohol or that are in glass containers
- Scissors, knitting needles, pocket knives
- Alcohol or illegal drugs
- Plastic bags
- Money, credit cards, expensive jewelry, important papers, etc.
- Belts, sashes, suspenders, shoelaces, scarves, neckties, cords, bathrobe ties, luggage straps, purses, and hats of any kind
- Hard plastic items